The Complete Guide for Moving to Nashville

Here are some very pertinent information to get your lights on, water, license, and motor vehicle registration official.

Vehicle Title & Registration

When moving to Nashville, Visit the Davidson County Clerk office to have your vehicle title and registration transferred to the state of Tennessee. The main office is located at 700 2nd Ave South, Suite 101, Nashville, TN 37210, however there are several locations sprinkled throughout Nashville.


Visit the Driver Services Division in Nashville to get your driver license. There is an office located at 624 Hart Lane Nashville, TN 37216 or 5216 Hickory Hollow Parkway Antioch, TN 37013. According to their website, there are some required documents you will need before you go. All documents are subject to verification with the issuing agency or source. Documents subject to verification may delay the issuance of your permit, driver license or identification only license.

– No photocopies will be accepted!

– Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or Proof of authorized stay in the United States

– Primary Proof of Identity

– Secondary Proof of Identity

– Proof of any Name Changes if Different than name on Primary ID

– Two Proofs of Tennessee Residency with your name and resident address – NO P.O. – – – BOXES (Documents must be current. Must be dated within last 4 months.)

– A Social Security Number or sworn affidavit if no Social Security number has been issued.

The cost will run you about $30.


Nashville Electric Service


(Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.)

You will need two current forms of identification to sign up for service.

· One must be U.S. government issued (or a political subdivision thereof)

· One must include a photograph

Acceptable identification includes a driver’s license, social security card, passport and birth certificate. For more information go to the Nashville Electric Service website here:


To request water service to your new home, call (615) 862-4600. We took this directly off the website. For more information, visit

Residential customers starting water service must pay a non-refundable service initiation fee of $35.00 for guaranteed same day service or $25.00 for any day thereafter. Commercial customers must pay a cash deposit, post a bond, secure a certificate of deposit, or present a letter of credit before services can be initiated. The amount of the deposit is generally based on two month’s estimated usage.